Tuesday 6 May 2008

Tale of Two Gangs




Well, so I thought this blog was pretty damn spoilerish anyway, and these screenshots were rather lovely, so I thought I'd put them up. As with pretty much any city RPG, at some point or another your PC can come into contact with one of several gangs. In Shadowfall, however, there's a gang war going on between two major societies; the Bloody Bones, a collection of vampires and other undead said to be commanded by the mysterious lich, Achor, and the Red Blades, who are much more your usual thieves and rogues...although they may have been infiltrated by the growing cult known only as the Brotherhood of the Dead Hand, for purposes unknown.


This week...

-Dregs improved upon, with rather nice-looking hanged Harpers

-Achor's Garden (see above)

-Starting on the Red Blades' hideout

-Rusty Anchor developed

-Changes made to that damn piece of rock you're standing on in the 'dream' intro (see the first post, it looked awful as it was)


Next fortnight...

-Finish off Debok and the Red Blades

-Trim and play with the Necropolis dungeon crawl

-NPC dialogue/banter for Trent/Winds/Crow

-Asylum and Temple of Mask


Heavy, man.

3 comments:

Lariam said...

It's looking really sweet! A note about the timeline. The previous post suggests that around 40 years have passed since the Time of Troubles (in 1358 DR). So, it'd be almost 1400 DR, now. Now, if I'm right the Spellplague that is explanatory of the many changes in moving to the 4th edition will take place in 1385 DR, and will bring some *drastic* changes with it: to the population of Faerûn, to the magic, to the geography, and so on. NWN2 OC presumably takes place around 1375 DR, and that's (1373-1375 DR, or so) roughly the timing of the most events in the recent novels, etc. Right now they seem to be in the process of quickly spanning the years between 1375 DR and 1385 DR, though - while the latest novel, the first 4th edition novel, takes place a hundrer years later. That, I gather, will be the "current" time when the 4th edition material hits the shelves.

So, I was just wondering if you were aware of the Spellplague - in case you'd like to take it into account in your timeline. Assuming you haven't done that already, of course! :)

Cheers!
Lariam

mooncalf165 said...

Aye, Lariam...when I first came up with the mod I hadn't a clue they were bringing 4E out, I literally just needed to have had Shadowfall rising as a result of ToT (for central plot reasons). More recently, I've grown to like the idea of having the mod set in the (as-yet) uncharted future, because the PC's basically been trapped in limbo since the time of NWN2, and also the god-upheaval/uncontrolled magic hints we've had so far about the Spellplague sit perfectly with what I'm planning plot-wise/in terms of Shadowfall as a town of raw, dangerous magic. On the other hand, of course, I'm now realising how brainlessly massive that ambition is...I'll have to ignore the new spells etc, plus update a lot of my background lore when 4E's released proper. But I think what I'm trying to say is, yes, I'm gonna really try and work the changing FR into this....and it may fail badly.
Thanks for bringing it up! It's been a nagging worry for a while lol...

Lariam said...

Lol - I see that you've done your homework.

It sounds very cool, actually: a stab at the 4th level stuff from the 3.5 rules perspective. Sounds great to me. And I don't think anyone cares if the rules aren't updated to the 4th edition. Some might care about the "lore changes" - spellplague etc. - not having been taken into account, at all. But that you've got covered.

Good luck with the building! :)